|My notes from HMQS of the repeating 8-pointed compass star border. I then drew out a repeating 5-pointed star border and divided it into two passes.|
|I marked one-inch segments in the border using a blue quilt pounce pad and a one-inch stencil.|
Here are photos of my daughter's latest dress. It is the "Love Nest Ruffle Dress" by Carina Gardner. This pattern has several mistakes in the cutting layout diagrams and they are currently re-printing its directions. After I sewed it, I contacted the company and Carina personally called me and we discussed the problems I experienced with the pattern. They knew of the some of the printing mistakes have posted the additional changes we discussed on their website.
The pattern does not tell you to cut two back pieces and that one of these two pieces will be used for the front lining. Instead, I cut two front panels, one from the top skirt pattern and the front lining straight across without the arch cut-out.
The pattern tells you to sew the back to front side seams and then add ruffles. This makes the ruffles floppy on the sides as they do not lie flat. I sewed the ruffles to the skirt lining first, then sewed the side seams, catching the ruffles in the side seams so that they would lie down correctly. This is an "alternate" method they posted on their website after I talked with Carina.
In short, it's a cute pattern, but if I were going to buy it again, I would make certain to down-load the new sewing directions from their website and make certain I got a re-print of the cutting layout diagrams as they were incorrect in the initial printing. Additionally, most patterns have you cut three pieces of the bottom ruffle for more fullness as it goes around the entire width of the skirt. This pattern only called for two which left it lacking in fullness. Next time, I'll add another piece.
That being said, this dress is currently my daughter's favorite--she loves the Disney princesses.
Until next time...happy quilting!